This enormous header required some extensive planning to install. Originally over three thousand pounds, I hollowed it out so that it was “only” 1200 pounds when we installed it.
The header, seen before we installed it. I drilled a hole at exactly the balance point and passed a chain through so that it raised up level. I rehearsed the lift in the studio before I loaded it on the truck.
We raised it up with a pulley and a gallows built on site, and rolled it into place on dowels under the gallows, after we’d lifted the piece above the legs.
Heere is Joe, raising the mantle up to height, before we rolled it into place.
The scrolls and thick legs were not easy to put in place either, but after a long time, one figures out how to do without damaging either floor or stone. Carefully.